Saint Matthews began services in 1835, but was organized in 1873 with the assistance of the faculty from Susquehanna University and local clergy. St. Matthew's was incorporated in 1886. In 1888 the first church was built which is the present meeting space and offices. The basement and Nave were added in 1918 and 1926 respectively. A call was extended in 1930 for our first full-time pastor.
Our basement consists of meeting and fellowship space as well as a fully equipped kitchen. Upstairs are the church offices, meeting space, and sanctuary for worship. Our community recreation building was first built in 1959 and has been extensively renovated over the years in order to best meet the needs of the community. Currently the building has a large open space for various activities, a full commercial kitchen, bathrooms with showers, classroom space and storage.
Throughout its exsistence St. Matthews has been an intergral part of the Shamokin Dam area. The church began its ministry as both a school house and a worship space. As the community grew the need for a designated worship space grew with it, resulting in a seperate church building and school for children. Our community center has been a resource for the community for many years hosting various events and providing space for people that need it. As we look into the future continues to be a loving community of faith where we passionately welcome, support, and serve all.